Do you have a fear of the phone?
Don’t worry…a lot of salespeople procrastinate on making sales calls because of this fear.
Here’s a bit of strategy to make EVERY sales call a great call!
Rachel recently made a shift from real estate sales over to the mortgage side of sales. Since she’s new to the mortgage arena, yet she knows a ton of local Realtors very well, she’s burning up the phone calling them right now. Her angle is this:
- Let them know about her shift into the mortgage industry.
- Create empathy with them since she has been a Realtor for 10 years.
- Acknowledge that the Realtor she is talking to probably already has a lender or two that they send business to regularly.
- Ask if her name can be thrown into the hat.
- Ask if it’s ok to follow up with an email so they have her contact info.
- Ask if there’s any other way she can help them right now.
And, so far, Rachel reports that she hasn’t had a bad phone call yet!
How can YOU apply this to your calls and phone calls?
Approach every phone call as if it WILL be a great one. Have a script or agenda for the call and also be open to letting the conversation go a different direction. Be prepared for the prospect to tell you they already have a service provider. Respond that you just want to make them aware that you are the new kid in town.
Gina would add: Ask for the micro-commitment (straight outta Jeb Blount’s new book called Objections.) Ask them if they are ok with you sending them a follow-up email and adding them to your list. Then, don’t forget to follow up!
The phone can feel like a direct line to rejection. If you spin it into a game of how to make every phone call a good one, it won’t seem so daunting.
And hey…even if the person hangs up on you, the win is one of 2 things:
- Now you know that the person who hung up can be crossed off the list.
- Maybe this person will respond to patient persistence…keep em on the list!
For more on making your calls and cold calls great, check out Jerry Acuff’s episode, Anthony Iannarino’s episode, and Jarrod Glandt’s episode!